Nancy Bush is a scholar on the history of Estonian knitting and works to create fresh new designs that incorporate historic motifs and patterns from her research.
In this scarf she pairs a lace “Stone” pattern (eyelet diamonds) alongside columns of Estonian nupps to achieve a textured vertical stripe. The scarf is trimmed at each end with a decorative garter stitch edging.
- Approximately 825 yards of fingering weight wool yarn
- Working Gauge: 20 stitches & 34 rows = 4″ in Chart Pattern with Size A needle, before blocking
- Finished Gauge: 18 stitches & 31 rows = 4″ in Chart Pattern with Size A needle; measurement taken from relaxed fabric after light lace-blocking (with slight stretch)
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One 24″ long or longer circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Cast On):
- One 24″ long or longer circular needle one size larger than Size A needle
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
- 18″ wide and 64″ long, after blocking