“I’ve long been enthralled by the beautiful knitting traditions of the different Nordic countries, and a few years ago I decided to knit myself a pullover inspired by two-color Norwegian sweaters, but with a stranded Icelandic round yoke. I had an idea in my head of what I wanted but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for, and so decided to embark upon the adventure of designing it myself.
In the three years since I first knit it, Sundottir has become my go-to pullover. I reach for it whenever I need an extra warm layer. My original prototype has come along with me to no less than seven foreign countries; I’ve worn it for countless family Christmas parties, walks around the neighborhood, and grad school lectures. I think of it as an old friend.
In the hope that you might want to reach for your own Sundottir – whether you’re packing your bag for a trip abroad or simply going to the store – I’ve updated and improved upon the original prototype to give you the pattern that follows.” – Dianna Walla
Read more about this pattern and the designer on our blog.
Worsted weight wool yarn in the following approximate amounts:
- 755 (815, 865, 950, 1040, 1155) yards Color 1 (C1)
- 100 (110, 120, 130, 145, 155) yards Color 2 (C2)
- 6 (6, 7, 7, 8, 9) skeins C1 and 1 (1, 1, 1, 2, 2) skeins C2 of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in colors Truffle Hunt (C1) and Fossil (C2)
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 18 stitches & 24 rounds = 4″ in single-color stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 18 stitches & 24 rounds = 4″ in stranded pattern from Yoke Chart with Size C needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric):
- One each 16″, 24″, and 32” circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing):
- One each 16” and 32” circular needles and one set of DPNs*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size C (optional; for stranded colorwork pattern from Yoke Chart):
- One each 16” and 32” circular needles one size larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Due to significant variance between knitters, your colorwork fabric should be swatched prior to knitting your sweater to determine whether or not this needle size should be larger, smaller or equal to Size A
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (i.e. Sleeves)
- 33 (35½, 37¼, 41, 45¼, 49)” circumference at bust
- Intended ease: + 0-2″
- Sample shown is size 35½” with + 1½-2″ ease on models