Svenson’s handsomely contemporary riff on traditional cabled Aran motifs is revisited for a more petite silhouette. Call it a compelling exercise in the study of textures — irresistible honeycomb panels proudly flanked by horseshoe cables, fields of moss stitch, and half-twisted ribbing to treat the edges — scaled down to shorter, closer-fitting proportions aided by clever compound raglan and saddle shoulder shaping. Complete the picture with long-wearing, mid-weight Arbor for a timeless piece to see you through countless adventures.
This garment is worked flat, in pieces, from the bottom up, then sewn together. The neckband is picked up and worked in the round after garment assembly. The cabled motifs are worked from charts only.
- 10 (11, 13, 14, 15, 17) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee Wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in colors Hammock and Wreath
1445 (1595, 1815, 1930, 2175, 2335) total yards of DK weight wool yarn
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 22 stitches & 34 rows = 4″ in Moss Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 28 stitches & 34 rows = 4″ in Purl Honeycomb Chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- One 32-stitch panel from Horseshoe Chart measures 4″ wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 40-stitch panel from Sleeve Chart measures 5½” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* and one 16″ circular needle, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used.
- 34½ (39, 43½, 47, 51, 55½)” [87.5 (99, 110.5, 119.5, 129.5, 141) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease + 4–5″ [10–12.5 cm]
- Sample shown is size 39″ [99 cm], shown with 6″ [15 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Rib Cabled Cast On
- Sloped Bind Off
- Binding Off Over Cabled Fabrics
- 1×1 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch