Knit up a smoking jacket-style cardigan in Quarry for a plush and cozy outerlayer this autumn. The overall fabric of moss stitch creates gentle texture that shows off Quarry’s flecks and striations, and a straight torso with raglan shoulders makes Tamarack easy to wear. Choose between a short ribbed button band for the fronts or a shawl collar button band shaped with short rows. Optional patch pockets complete the look.
- 1420 (1560, 1745, 1875, 2075, 2215) total yards of chunky weight yarn needed
- 14 stitches & 22 rows = 4″ in Moss Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- Correct length of the one-piece yoke is dependent upon achieving the stated row gauge.
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 6½ mm (US 10½)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One each 32″ and 47″ circular needles and one set of DPNs* three sizes smaller than Size A Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of DPNs* one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g. Sleeves)
Note: If you have adjusted the needle size to obtain the correct gauge, it may or may not be necessary to make a matching adjustment to the needle size used for Tubular Cast On due to variance in individual work. You may wish to test your chosen cast-on method on your swatch.
- 39¼ (43¾, 48¼, 53, 57½, 62)” / 99.5 (111, 122.5, 134.5, 146, 157.5) cm circumference at chest, buttoned
- Intended Ease: + 2–4” (5–10 cm)
- Sample shown is size 43¾” (111 cm) with ¾” (2 cm) ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On (Circular knitting; multiple of 4 stitches)
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On (Flat knitting; multiple of 4 stitches)
- Sloped Bind Off
- One-Row Buttonhole
- Short Rows: Wrap & Turn Method