A cocoon cardigan in openwork fabric offers casual style you can dress up or down. Quarry’s leavened, unspun structure renders netting stitch fabric as a doughy lattice, warm but well ventilated. Wide stockinette edges are allowed to curl for an unstudied effect that invites layering over office wear or lounging with a favorite film and a bowl of popcorn. Bracelet-length dolman sleeves and a boxy shape create a comfortable, broad silhouette; use the hip measurement to select a size that will allow easy movement. The netting stitch back and fronts are knit flat, with additional stitches cast on to form contiguous sleeves; stitches are picked up to work the stockinette front bands, hem, and cuffs after assembly.
- 1180 (1285, 1450, 1555, 1715, 1835) total yards of chunky weight wool yarn
- 6 (7, 8, 8, 9, 10) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Quarry (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 200 yards/100 grams)
- Photographed in color Moonstone
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 15 stitches & 18 rows = 4″ in Netting Stitch, after blocking
- 12 stitches & 18 rows = 4″ in stockinette stitch, after blocking
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 8 mm (US 11)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Cuff edgings).
- 43 (46½, 49½, 53, 56, 59)” [109 (118, 125.5, 134.5, 142, 150) cm] circumference at midriff with fronts closed
- Sized to fit approximately 30–32 (34–36, 38–40, 41–43, 44–46, 48–50)” [76–81.5 (86.5–91.5, 96.5–101.5, 104–109, 112–117, 122–127) cm] bust
- Intended Ease: + 10–12″ [25.5–30.5 cm]
- Sample shown is size 46½” [118 cm] with 14½” [37 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Knit Cabled Cast On
- Purl Cabled Cast On
- Sloped Bind Off