Enjoy texture, both quiet and luxurious, with the Treefolds Hat. Allover cables developed as a modern take on traditional Tree of Life cable patterns is the highlighting feature of this stately hat. Trees abstracted into diamonds are created by zigzagging cable panels placed next to each other in mirroring directions. Blending seamlessly with these cable crosses are fully-fashioned double decreases at the crown, which result in a uniquely geometric design at the top of the hat. In fingering-weight Peerie, these anfractuous cables render crisply and remain spritely, substantial, and comfortable to wear on many an adventure.
This hat is worked circularly from the bottom up. The textured motif is worked from charts only; directional cable crosses have been color-coded for ease of reading. Options are given for a single-layer brim or a double-layer folded brim.
- 2 skeins Brooklyn Tweed Peerie (100% American Merino wool; 210 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in colorways Palazzo, Nocturne, and Tincture
- 355 yards of fingering weight wool yarn
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 43 stitches & 39 rounds = 4″ in chart pattern with Size A needle(s), after blocking, measured unstretched
- One 38-stitch & 36-round repeat of Treefolds Chart measures 3⅝” wide and 3⅝” tall with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3.5 mm (US 4)
Size B (for Brim)
- One 16″ circular needle*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3 mm (US 2½)
*A 32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 21¼” [54 cm] circumference; 8¾” [22 cm] length (with brim folded)
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Tubular Cast On