A curved short-row hem and mirrored suspender cables dress up this comfortable pullover in double moss stitch. The cables’ width is graded to match the finished dimensions of the sweater to ensure perfect proportions. The front and back are worked flat from the bottom up, with short rows shaping the hems; the straight torso makes for a long swath of predictable knitting. Set-in sleeves are knit circularly to the armholes and then completed working flat for a tidy fit and a stable finish. The ribbed neckband is worked to double length and then sewn down inside for a strong and elastic finish. Valemount’s longer length, soft texture and classic look make it a wardrobe staple you’ll wear for years. The gentle stitch play of the double moss background will most visible in a pale colorway like Fossil (shown in the sample), Snowbound, Tallow, or Bale.
- 1065 (1200, 1360, 1475, 1580, 1700, 1835) yards of worsted weight wool yarn
- 8 (9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14) skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (100% American Targhee-Columbia wool; 140 yards/50g)
- Photographed in color Fossil
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are charted only.
- 17 stitches & 30 rows = 4″ in Double Moss Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 12-stitch panel from Chart A or B measures approximately 1¾” wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 14-stitch panel from Chart C or D measures approximately 2″ wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One pair of straight needles or a 32″ circular needle* and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)† in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
Size B (for Cuffs and Neckband)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of DPNs*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used
†32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g., Sleeves).
- 35 (39, 44½, 47½, 49½, 53, 57)” [89 (99, 113, 120.5, 125.5, 134.5, 145) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: + 3–5″ [7.5–12.5 cm]
- Sample shown is size 39″ [99 cm] with 6″ [15 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Short Rows: Twisted Wrap & Turn Method
- Sloped Bind Off