As the charming sibling of the Voe Pullover, the Voe Hat features the same colorwork motif punctuated by tiny dashes of woven color. For those smitten with the cheerful peaks and valleys of the pullover, this hat pattern provides an opportunity to hone your stranding skills before taking on a larger colorwork project, or to knit up a festive, matching set. Whatever you choose, delight in the joy of assembling a palette that reflects your unique style.
Brooklyn Tweed Loft — 100% American Targhee-Columbia Wool (275 yards/50 grams)
- 1 skein each of Color 1 (C1), Color 2 (C2), and Color 3 (C3)
- Long hat photographed in colors Soot (C1), Fauna (C2) & Sap (C3) and Snowbound (C1), Truffle Hunt (C2), & Barn Owl (C3)
- Short hat photographed in colors Truffle Hunt (C1), Long Johns (C2), & Woodsmoke (C3)
Fingering weight wool yarn needed:
- 220 yards C1
- 40 yards C2
- 30 yards C3
Yarn amounts given are sufficient to make hat in either length.
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 26 stitches & 48 rounds = 4″ in Garter Rib with Size A needle, after blocking
- 29 stitches & 36 rounds = 4″ in charted colorwork with Size B needle, after blocking
Size A (for Garter Rib)
- One 16″ circular needle in size needed to obtain Garter Rib gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Size B (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain charted colorwork gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3½ mm (US 4)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16″ circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 18½” [47 cm] circumference at brim
- 19¾” [50 cm] circumference at widest point
- 8½ (9½)” [21.5 (24) cm] length for short hat (long hat)
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Long-Tail Cast On
- German Twisted Cast On