Cocoon in a fabric at once quiet and expressive. Putting humble knits and purls to good use, Watermark exhibits a harmonious meshing of easy to love (and accomplish) textures: grid stitch, furrowed ribbing, and classic one-by-one ribbing. Nestled in between each are panels of geometric cables, branching to form chevron diamonds that shine when the light hits just right. Contemporary construction details designed to flatter, like modified drop shoulders and gentle waist shaping, marry fabric, pattern, and shape all together — the patch pockets don’t hurt, either!
The body of this cardigan is worked flat in one piece from the hem to the underarm; Garter Stitch Selvedges are worked at the front, armhole, neck, and collar extension edges. After underarm stitches are bound off, the fronts and back are worked separately to the shoulder. The shoulder is shaped using the Sloped Bind Off. The collar extensions are shaped using Short Rows: Wrap & Turn Method, then joined at the center back neck using Joinery Bind Off. The sleeves are worked circularly to the underarm, then the cap is worked flat. Options are given for standard sleeve cuffs or folded cuffs. Furrowed Ribbing and Grid Stitch may be worked either from charts or from written instructions; the Chevron Tree pattern is worked from charts only.
- Photographed in colors Almanac and Fossil
1765 (1920, 2065, 2175, 2370, 2515) total yards of worsted weight wool yarn
Please note: the stitch patterns for this garment are charted only.
- 20 stitches & 31 rows = 4″ in Grid Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 37-stitch motif from Chevron Tree Chart measures 5″ wide with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4.5 mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 32″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)*, three sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3.5 mm (US 4)
*32” circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round (e.g. Sleeves).
- 39½ (43, 47½, 51, 55½, 59)” [100.5 (109, 120.5, 129.5, 141, 150) cm] circumference at bust (with fronts overlapping)
- Intended Ease: + 8–9″ [20.5–23 cm]
- Samples shown are sizes 43″ [109 cm] with 11″ [30 cm] ease on model, in color Fossil, and 55½” [141 cm] with 12½” [31.75 cm] ease on model, in color Almanac
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Cabled Cast On
- Garter Stitch Selvedge
- Backward Loop Cast On
- Sloped Bind Off
- Short Rows: Wrap & Turn Method
- Joinery Bind Off
- Steam Blocking