Your use of this website constitutes your agreement to follow and be bound by the terms outlined below. We reserve the right to update or modify these terms at any time without prior notice. For this reason, we encourage you to review this page whenever you use this website. Please use this website only if you agree to these terms.
Your privacy is important to us. When considering customer privacy we are guided by the following principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Below we explain how we collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
At Brooklyn Tweed we are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, please be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Information You Provide to Us
Information that you provide to us is just that — information that you freely give through the use of this website. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: Our system requires a Brooklyn Tweed account for all purchases made through this website in order for us to provide a high level of customer service and timely support. A Brooklyn Tweed account also serves as storage for your digital pattern library for patterns purchased through this website. When creating an account with us, we collect the following personal information, which is voluntarily submitted by you: your email address. Once your account has been created, you may be invited to edit your account details, which could include your providing your first and last names as well as your billing and shipping addresses. In the course of creating a Brooklyn Tweed account, you may also be asked for your preferences, interests, and other information relevant to improving our visitors’ experience on this website. For users who register on this website, we store the personal information they provide in their user profile indefinitely. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal account information at any time (with the exception that usernames cannot be changed). Website administrators can also see and edit user account information. We only edit or delete a customer’s user account information at the written request of said customer.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you place an order through this website, you may also be prompted to enter your first and last names, phone number, and billing and shipping information. Your transactional data, such as purchase information, will be stored. We require this information to provide the best service we can to our customers, in order to fulfill orders for shipping as well as for internal record keeping and for website customization.
- Contact Forms: We keep contact form submissions (for Customer Support, Purchase Order Support, Pattern Support, Wholesale Inquiries, etc.) in email format through our email provider, Gmail, indefinitely for customer service purposes, but do not use the information submitted through them for marketing purposes. Said emails contain your name, email address, and message body, as submitted by you via the contact form.
- Customer Survey Information: Responses to our customer surveys which are offered through this website are stored on SurveyMonkey’s servers. The information that you provide, such as your name and email address, are recorded with your responses. We may also use the contact information you provide to email you regarding your comments in the survey. For example, if you have a question or concern, we do our best to reply via email. We also send emails of gratitude, as we sincerely appreciate every person’s feedback. SurveyMonkey’s privacy terms can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/legal/privacy-policy/.
- Email Sign-up Forms: If you choose to subscribe to one of our mailing lists through a form on this website (e.g.Brooklyn Tweed’s general e-newsletter, Wool People email list, Knitting Culture email list), the information you provide is stored in Brooklyn Tweed’s MailChimp account on their servers. MailChimp’s privacy terms can be found here: https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/. When requesting to be added to a Brooklyn Tweed email list, you will receive a confirmation email that will require you to click a button to confirm your subscription; you will not be subscribed to the email list if you do not click the confirmation button.
Information We Collect Automatically
Through the act of visiting this website, we also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Additional personal information, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, may also be collected by and stored on this website, regardless of whether or not you have logged into a Brooklyn Tweed account.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit this website from certain geographic regions.
- Analytics: We use Google Analytics, a service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”), to gather information about how users engage with this website. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and processing of data generated by your use of this website by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
WHO CAN ACCESS YOUR INFORMATION
All users can see, edit, or delete their own personal account information at any time (with the exception that usernames cannot be changed).
Only authorized employees, third-party agents using software required for the use of the services on this website, and contractors (all under agreement to keep information secure and confidential) have access to your personal information. Brooklyn Tweed may at its discretion use other third parties to provide essential services on this website or for our business processes. We may share your details as necessary for the third party to provide that service. These third parties are prohibited from using your personally identifiable information for any other purpose.
WHERE WE SEND YOUR DATA
- Ravelry: If you purchase a digital PDF product through this website and choose to connect your Ravelry account with your pattern PDF purchases made on this website, you can choose to add the pattern to your Ravelry library. This will require you to enable the feature within your Ravelry account. By so doing, your email address used to make the purchase will be recorded in Ravelry. You can read more about what is required to link your Ravelry account with your Brooklyn Tweed account purchases here: https://www.brooklyntweed.com/add-to-ravelry/.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
- Pagely: Pagely hosts this website on their servers.
- WordPress: WordPress is the platform upon which this website is created and managed.
- Taxamo: We use Taxamo to calculate VAT, the Value Added Tax that is added for digital sales to customers who reside in countries that belong to the European Union (EU). VAT fees vary by EU country and are determined based on the purchaser’s IP address and the address on file with the purchaser’s credit card or PayPal account. Transactional information regarding purchases made through this website is sent to Taxamo for the purpose of verifying if a purchase qualifies for the VAT tax. Personal information, such as your IP address, shipping and billing address, may be sent to Taxamo as a part of this process.
- Metorik: Metorik is used for sales reporting and data. Transactional data is sent to Metorik for the purposes of reporting on sales and transactions.
- Sucuri: In addition to the website security provided by Pagely, we employ Sucuri for additional website security protection. Site usage information, such as if you reset your password or log into your Brooklyn Tweed account, is logged in Sucuri.
- Stripe: We offer Stripe as a credit card processor for purchases made through this website. All transactional information regarding your payment information is completed through Stripe on their servers.
- PayPal: We offer PayPal as a credit card processor for purchases made through this website. All transactional information regarding your payment information is completed through PayPal on their servers.
- Jetpack: Jetpack is used for their services Akismet and VaultPress. Akismet offers spam protection on this website’s blog and VaultPress backs up this website.
- ShipStation: Shipping information, including your personal account information as well as items purchased, shared during the checkout process to complete a purchase is sent to ShipStation to complete a shippable order.
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR DATA
For users who register on this website, we store the personal information they provide in their user profile indefinitely. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (with the exception that usernames cannot be changed). Website administrators can also see and edit user account information. We only edit or delete a customer’s user account information at the written request of said customer.
If you leave a comment on this website, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
WHAT RIGHTS YOU HAVE OVER YOUR DATA
If you have an account through this site, or have left comments on this site, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
When you submit a request to have your data exported or deleted, we will send you a confirmation email to verify your request. If you are requesting to have your data deleted, we will complete the deletion upon your verification. To submit a request to have your data exported or deleted, contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All emails and e-newsletters distributed from this site allow you to opt out of future mailings at any time.
Our Services are not directed to children under the age of 18 and we do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 18. If we learn that we have collected personal information of a child under the age of 18, we will take steps to delete such information from our files as soon as possible.
While no online service is 100% secure, we take all reasonable precautions and follow industry standard practices to keep your information from being inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed without our permission.
This website has an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate, which is a digital certificate that authenticates the identity of a website and encrypts information sent to the server using SSL technology. For example, when you enter your account login information, it will be securely encrypted before being sent to our server.
When you make a payment, the third party payment processor (e.g. Stripe or PayPal) receives your full payment information; we receive only a funding confirmation.
WHAT DATA BREACH PROCEDURES WE HAVE IN PLACE
If a data breach is determined to have occurred, we work with our Customer Service team to notify those customers involved, and with our security partners to implement a solution, as quickly as possible.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
All content on this website, including but not limited to photography, text, illustrations, or graphics, is copyrighted as a collective work under the United States and other copyright laws, and is the property of Brooklyn Tweed. The collective work includes works that are licensed to us. Any use, including but not limited to the reproduction, distribution, display, or transmission of the content of this website is strictly prohibited, unless authorized by Brooklyn Tweed.
All digital content, including patterns and e-books, purchased through this website are for personal use only and may not be reproduced, sold or distributed without express permission granted in writing by Brooklyn Tweed. Class use and/or translations of said digital content are allowed only with the express written permission of Brooklyn Tweed. All purchases of digital content through this website constitute understanding and agreement to these terms.
All trademarks, service marks and trade names of Brooklyn Tweed used in the site are trademarks or registered trademarks of Brooklyn Tweed.
This website and the materials and products on this site are provided “as is” and “as available” without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including but not limited to implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Brooklyn Tweed does not represent or warrant that the functions contained in the site will be uninterrupted or error-free, that the defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes the site available are free of viruses or other harmful components. Brooklyn Tweed does not make any warranties or representations regarding the use of the materials in this site in terms of their correctness, accuracy, adequacy, usefulness, timeliness, reliability or otherwise. Some states do not permit limitations or exclusions on warranties, so the above limitations may not apply to you.
Brooklyn Tweed shall not be liable for any special or consequential damages that result from the use of (or inability to use) the materials on this site or the performance of the products, even if Brooklyn Tweed has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Applicable law may not allow the limitation of exclusion of liability of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
BROOKLYN TWEED CONTACT INFORMATION
Last updated November 2018